ZFS mirrored boot disk full -- unable to boot

Dec 24, 2016
I have a proxmox server running 6.1-8. The boot disk is a zfs mirror of 2 16GB satadoms. Unfortunately, I made a mistake and put a Splunk vm on the boot disk and it filled to 100%. I attempted to delete the vm but couldn't. I tried to reboot but now I cannot boot. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This is really bad, since you will have almost no choice than to provide more space to the ZFS pool, which in your case resides on a partition of the sata DOM and which you will likely be unable to expand. You would somehow need to add additional space to this pool. One possible way would be to add some space via the help of a USB thumb drive and then free up the space needed to remove the new vdev afterwards. 6.1-8 should have the latest zfs installed and that provides feature@device_removal.

However, you will likely have to boot your PVE from emergency system to be able to expand the rpool.

It would be good though to have the vm configs before doing so and performing the addition of space to your rpool will do that - unless… you do have a good backup of your vm configs, then I'd concurr and re-installed pve as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!