ZFS Migration w/o Cluster

soapee01

Sep 7, 2016
Hi,

I have a temporary server configured running a couple of windows server VMs on ZFS. I've rebuilt the main server, and I'm wondering if it is possible to do a migration of the VM's with ZFS without doing a cluster. Ideally, I'd like to do an initial sync to get the majority of the data, and then do a secondary sync at night that should go more quickly. This way I can minimize downtime.

I have tried using zvs send/recv but this requires that I take a snapshot first. That's fine, and it worked. The problem arose when I went to take a second snapshot and sync that over with hopefully just the changed data. I ended up with a locked VM and a failed transfer on the new server.

EDIT: I will be reinstalling another OS on the current running server, hence the desire not to have a cluster.

Is there a procedure to do what I hope to accomplish, or is this all just wishful thinking.

Thanks!

James

Last edited:
So pve-zsync doesn't require a cluster? I must have misread something somewhere, because I thought that it did.

Thanks!

James

This basically worked a treat! Thank you.

Code:
pve-zsync sync --source 110 --dest 192.168.1.22:rpool/data --verbose --name win10test

After this went across on the original proxmox machine (windows 10 guest) I edited a text file on the desktop. Then I re-ran the above command and started up the VM (after I had changed the 110.conf file for the correct location of the zfs drive). The change to the text file did not go across after the second run.

I re-ran the command a third time and the text file did change on the new server.

Could it be that the SSD log that I have on the original server just hadn't committed the changes to disk for pve-zsync to go across yet? Did something else cause this? What should I look for to make certain that the changes go across. Shut down the original virtual machine first (it was running all three times I did the pve-zsync).

Thanks!

James

There might be multiple version of conifg files on the destination, one for each snapshot. You probably used the wrong one. pve-zsync work perfect every time.

You should do nothing special. Just read the instructions and use it accordingly. If you have problems, come and ask.

Also you can run it as many times as you want untill you start it on destination.

I normally sync to /rpool/prenos/ and then zfs rename to /rpool/data once I do a final transfer, so in case pve-zsync is run on the source agian, it does not destroy my VM on dest.

You are invited to lik my posts.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!