ZFS installation

gijsbert

Oct 13, 2008
I really would like to give ZFs a try on proxmox. Reading several topics / forums about ZFS there is one thing I have noticed a couple of times. They advice to NEVER put your main OS on a ZFS volume.

If I choose ZFS during normal ISO-install, will proxmox/os be put on ZFS? And are there ways to avoid this? I'm looking for the best setup using 6 x SSD disks on a single node. With these disks I have several options:

- HW-raid 10 (LSI2208) with BBU
- Custom install of proxmox on SW-raid 10 with LVM

I like to give ZFS a try however, but I'm just wondering if the OS/proxmox will be on a ZFS volume if we install using the default ISO proxmox provides?

Gijsbert

But if I choose ZFS from the installer, will the main OS be put on ZFS or not? Or will the installer create a separate partition for ZFS?

But if I choose ZFS from the installer, will the main OS be put on ZFS or not? Or will the installer create a separate partition for ZFS?

ZFS wants whole disks. if you only want to use ZFS as storage for guest disks, install using LVM/ext4, and use the remaining free disks after installation to setup a zpool yourself (see the admin guide and ZFS man pages for details). you can also have separate pools for OS/rpool and storage (again, by setting up the storage pool yourself AFTER installation).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!