zfs install with separate ext2 boot

dendi

Renowned Member
Nov 17, 2011
Dear Proxmox Staff and users,
I know this is not supported, but I'm using ZFS on hw raid and it's fine, but I'm worried when I have to reboot a server because of the several grub problems.
On some systems I solved putting a /boot partition to a usb key but I have a single point of failure and I have to manually update kernel and grub on the usb key when I upgrade the system. I don't like it very much.
So is it possible to make an hybryd install with /boot partition on ext2 directly from intaller?
Maybe a future option?

With more disk (no raid0 on zfs) the installer could create an md for the boot partition to bypass the UEFI incompatibility...

Thank you Oguz.
It was a sort of feature request for the installer, feel free to evaluate my request :)

hi,

we want the installer to be simple to use and ideally without any confusing options. as in, the goal is to get a pve system running as fast as possible. that's why we usually try to avoid options which might make it harder to configure. sysadmins who want such niche configurations already know how to do them (for example in your situation), so we see no need to include them in the installer by default, however, thank you for the feedback. i'll be sure to take a look.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!