[SOLVED] zfs import directly into VM

sbartley

Dec 30, 2015
I am moving my freenas box into a proxmox vm however I have a zfs system that was set up natively in freenas. I would like to take that zfs pool and import it into the freenas VM is there a way that I can do this without losing my data and have it fully accessible or have it attached directly to the VM. I may be asking the impossible but any help with this problem would be great thanks in advance.

Hi,
I never tried it but if you have a dedicate HBA for this pool you can passthrough it to the VM.
Or you can passthrough only the disk.

Hi,
I never tried it but if you have a dedicate HBA for this pool you can passthrough it to the VM.
Or you can passthrough only the disk.

Thanks but I tried to SSH into the VM and attach it but it does not find the zfs filesystem. However I can SSH in the root pve and it will attach there which is the problem as its attached as a big pool for access to all the VMs.

have you tried to import the pool?

have you tried to import the pool?

Yes I was able to import the pool however I had to take a different approach. ZFS has a replication process over SSH that allows you to take a snapshot of the dataset and send it to another pool or host. I have two empty zfs pools already attached as storage which worked out fine except it required me to transfer all the data from the pool with all the data to a different pool manually within the VM. Basically I cloned my drive and transferred it through ssh I knew about this replication process but I was trying not to do it because it requires me to move 3TBs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!