ZFS - How to monitor the SLOG usage?

apoc

Famous Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hello everybody,

I have a question I was unable to find an answer for. Maybe because I am searching wrong, maybe people don't bother in knowing.
Anyways. I have purchased a nice little (8GB) NVRAM device to be my SLOG on a ZFS pool. Since this is very small (considered the usual SSD sizes) I am interested in understanding to what degree this device is used / filled in my operations (and perhaps if I can partition it and use it on a second pool).

Can anyone (@LnxBil or @Dunuin perhaps?) point me to a command what shows the usage of the SLOG device? I have checked arcstat and arcsummary but have not found what I am looking for. My research here and in the WWW in general wasn't successful.

Thanks a lot upfront.

I think this article explains great how the ZIL works. They also link to a script (zilstat.ksh) which you can use to check how much your SLOG will be used. Its for Solaris ZFS but since OpenZFS and ZoL are based on that, it might work too.

Reactions: apoc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!