ZFS, EXT4 or LVM for dell PE R720

BrandonN

Mar 2, 2018
Colombia
I would like tips about the system disk configuration, can someone advice me please?, I found a lot information and I am begginer in this.
We have as I mentioned a Dell PE R720 with 3 physical disk with 1 Tb each one and 88 Gb RAM, and I don't know which would be the best installation type, ext4, zfs or lvm.
We need in special a good performance, maybe zfs RAID 0, but I'm not sure -- I need to migrate a lot of VM from VMware to PROXMOX.
Thanks in advance. Bless.

This is actually funny, about the same time I have created a very similar topic. It is the second one on the list in the Forum (for now). We also have a production level setup requirements. We are using NVMe High performance SSDs and looking into the best performing FS while having data redundancy and fault tolerance.

To my findings, Raidz-1 would give fault tolerance however turned out to be much slower than having one of those drives formatted as xfs or ext4. So if I take an NVMe drive and format it to be xfs, mount it and use it, it is extremely fast. If I create a Raidz-1 out of them, they are about 40% slower which is a huge difference. Raidz-1 on 3 NVMe ssd drives almost gives same performance as non high performance ssd drives which is worrisome.

I could not find an alternative solution yet, however I will keep looking. My research points to creating Raidz-1 or Raidz-2 depending on how much space you can sacrifice but as I said above, my performance benchmarks are disappointing for Raidz-1. Below is the link to me topic as well. Lets collaborate on findings.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/w...for-proxmox-5-2-on-4-x-nvme-ssd-drives.49509/

Hi @BrandonN so RAID over LVM gives the best performance as it currently stands. Check out the thread above. Might help you out as well.

We have as I mentioned a Dell PE R720 with 3 physical disk with 1 Tb each one and 88 Gb RAM, and I don't know which would be the best installation type, ext4, zfs or lvm.
We need in special a good performance, maybe zfs RAID 0, but I'm not sure
3 1TB drives doesnt give you many options. RAID0 is not an option for any data you actually care about. Best performance would be as @Deli Veli suggested, but afaik dell perc controllers dont do RAID1e so 3 drives would not be usable that way. Best performance would be LVM over JBOD but this doesnt buy you any fault tolerance; moreover, "best" performance is relative- 7200rpm spinning rust is painfully slow by 2018 standards...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!