ZFS drive replaced and added new one, error

Then you'll probably need to update your PVE. On mine, running the latest version of PVE and thus ZFS it says:

Code:
root@vm:~# zpool get feature@device_removal vmpool
NAME    PROPERTY                VALUE                   SOURCE
vmpool  feature@device_removal  enabled                 local

Once that is done, you should be able to remove the "errand" vdev.

uff... thanks but that is not an option today either.. I am on 5.4-3 on this node... and I rather not try a remote update today..

I guess I'll have to drive to datacenter next week, if still possible with the coronavirus..

really appreciate your help.. do you think I have no redundancy at this moment or do i?

1584733533327.png

Well… regarding the data redundancy… as long as this single-dev vdev is online on this zpool, ZFS will write data to it. However, as long as your're not storing any actual work data on the zpool, you should be relatively safe, but no… the data redundancy is currently not present, but this will only affect newls written data, which at this point will mainly be metadata.

Should the single-dev vdev fail, you might still be able to force-import your degraded zpool, but I'd rather get ZFS updated and update this zpool to be able to remove the vdev.

Thanks..

Lesson learned..

I will rebuilt the server next Monday if I can drive there.. It is not such a big job and rather not risk putting VMs on the server.. not becuase of the data, but because of possible downtime, even if only 3 minutes..

Thanks, really appreciate your help.

How can I fix this? without having to reinstall the whole system?

It's not perfect with respect to performance, but if you just want to add the redundancy back:
Just add another disk the single disk vdev, so that you convert your RAID0 (so to speak) to a RAID1 (mirrored vdev):

Code:
zpool attach rpool <single-drive> <addtional-drive>

It's not perfect with respect to performance, but if you just want to add the redundancy back:
Just add another disk the single disk vdev, so that you convert your RAID0 (so to speak) to a RAID1 (mirrored vdev):

Code:
zpool attach rpool <single-drive> <addtional-drive>

Can't do that, this server only has 6 slots.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!