[SOLVED] ZFS device fault for pool rpool on backup

SoporteIB

Dec 14, 2018
Hello, we have received this error message from one of the disks in the ZFS system. I have run a "zpool status -v name" and I don't see any error. Can I take any more action? Thanks, best regards.

The number of I/O errors associated with a ZFS device exceeded
acceptable levels. ZFS has marked the device as faulted.

impact: Fault tolerance of the pool may be compromised.
eid: 29
class: statechange
state: FAULTED
host: backup
time: 2024-02-28 15:03:46+0100
vpath: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSDSC2BW120A4_PHDA435001511207GN-part3
vguid: 0x00C8769FC869172D
pool: rpool (0x8A4E837096270D08)

Captura.PNG

Last edited:
Hi,

I have run a "zpool status -v name" and I don't see any error.
pool: rpool (0x8A4E837096270D08)
In the screenshot provided you only show the status of another pool, but not the actual faulted pool rpool.

Please provide the output of zpool status -v rpool and smartctl -x /dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSDSC2BW120A4_PHDA435001511207GN.
You can also look into the system journal using journalctl -b and look for any errors. Usually on disk errors there will be something printed by the kernel.

True, I had forgotten about the other one! :O Thank you
Capture attached. They are SSD hard drives.
They are the operating system disks.
Captura.PNG

Last edited:
Well, your best move now would be to replace the failed drive.
Please see our guide for Changing a failed bootable device, as special precautions must be taken when replacing a device from the rpool.

Again, you might want to checkout the output of smartctl -x /dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSD[..], whatever the full path is exactly (since it's cut of in the screenshot you provided). The kernel log (dmesg -H) might provide some more information what kind of I/O errors are occuring, but the disk probably really is just failing.

Going by the disk name, these Intel SSDs seem to not be really enterprise ones/have PLP. ZFS on consumer SSDs will kill them pretty quickly, just search the forum for many posts on that topic.
I'd advise you to get some actual enterprise-SSDs, power-loss protection is a good search term. They have way better durability and importantly, better performance upkeep over time and PLP!

Reactions: SoporteIB
Well, your best move now would be to replace the failed drive.
Please see our guide for Changing a failed bootable device, as special precautions must be taken when replacing a device from the rpool.

Again, you might want to checkout the output of smartctl -x /dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSD[..], whatever the full path is exactly (since it's cut of in the screenshot you provided). The kernel log (dmesg -H) might provide some more information what kind of I/O errors are occuring, but the disk probably really is just failing.

Going by the disk name, these Intel SSDs seem to not be really enterprise ones/have PLP. ZFS on consumer SSDs will kill them pretty quickly, just search the forum for many posts on that topic.
I'd advise you to get some actual enterprise-SSDs, power-loss protection is a good search term. They have way better durability and importantly, better performance upkeep over time and PLP!
Thank you, I managed to replace the system hard drive with the guide you sent me.
Best regards

Reactions: cheiss
Great to hear!

Please just mark the thread as SOLVED then, so others can find it easier in the future! This can be done by editing the first post, there should be a dropdown for this near the title field :)

Reactions: SoporteIB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!