zfs corruption

emanuelebruno

Renowned Member
May 1, 2012
Catania
emanuelebruno.it
Hi to allo, today for the first time I ran into this error and I don't know how to proceed:
Cattura.PNG
The disk that is currently inaccessible was installed on another server that crashed (for unknown reasons).
The following video shows the server crashing after booting when the disk is attached.

If I unplug the disk then the system boots fine. I need to recover the data. What can I do? I thank all those who will answer me.

The server that crashed was based on Proxmox v7.3 while I tried to import the damaged zfs volume through a Proxmox v6.4-1

Last edited:
ZFS detects correctly that the drive was used on another system. This can be caused by a mistake but in your case this is expected. It suggest importing the pool with -f if you want to import the pool. After importing it, ZFS will no longer give this error next time because the pool is then known to your current system.

ZFS detects correctly that the drive was used on another system. This can be caused by a mistake but in your case this is expected. It suggest importing the pool with -f if you want to import the pool. After importing it, ZFS will no longer give this error next time because the pool is then known to your current system.
Thank you for your reply. In the first picture I try to import the corrupted volume without success using the "-f" option (the system goes stuck and I tryed to wait about 2 minutes..but no response)

Thank you for your reply. In the first picture I try to import the corrupted volume without success using the "-f" option (the system goes stuck and I tryed to wait about 2 minutes..but no response)
Sorry, I missed that. Maybe it has some corruption and just takes longer or need to import a slightly earlier version. There are several import options for that, like zpool import -F.

What exactly happened to the second disk of that mirror?
Was the second one the same disk model as the first one?
The "ST5000LM000" are SMR-disks, which are really bad for raid and even worse for ZFS as a CoW-filesystem.
Did you check the SMART-values of that/those disk(s)?
Try to import the pool on a 7.3 system, to rule out the different ZFS-versions that come with 7.3 vs. 6.4.
No backups?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!