ZFS backups

kappclark

Feb 13, 2019
Vermont, USA
www.clark-hart.us
Hello-

May seem like a silly question -

I am wondering if Proxmox uses ZFS, what the VM Backup process is - I was hoping to use a removable external USB 1TB hdd. Is this possible, or do I need to make backups to internal drive, then copy to external ? Could I use a NAS for backups ?

THX as always,

THX - I got the external dribe connected, mounted and have done a few backups to it -- still not sure on the recommended backup metod - this is a home lab, and I have no plm shutting down the VM or container before doing the backup ... I understand that stop mode is the best for consistency ..

I have a hack for my home lab to allow me to use pve-zsync for it, and in my production environment. ZFS snapshots are so faster and more efficient than the normal individual image backups.

For home, I created a ZFS disk image on the NFS store and am using pve-zsync to it.

It has worked fine so far, but I'm sure it's not the safest option.

THX - I got the external dribe connected, mounted and have done a few backups to it -- still not sure on the recommended backup metod - this is a home lab, and I have no plm shutting down the VM or container before doing the backup ... I understand that stop mode is the best for consistency ..

Proxmox backup system can work with snapshot system so backup not interput your Guest...

I have a hack for my home lab to allow me to use pve-zsync for it, and in my production environment. ZFS snapshots are so faster and more efficient than the normal individual image backups.

For home, I created a ZFS disk image on the NFS store and am using pve-zsync to it.

It has worked fine so far, but I'm sure it's not the safest option.
THX-

This appears to require a cluster environment -- I will have 2 Proxmox boxes..one is using LVM ... would the pve-sync be possible in this environment ?

You can do pve-zsync in a stand alone environment, just need to be able to SSH w/o a password if doing it to a different machine. And you can even do it to external storage.

It's so much nicer than the QEMU/KVM backups.

THX-

This appears to require a cluster environment -- I will have 2 Proxmox boxes..one is using LVM ... would the pve-sync be possible in this environment ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!