ZFS and Storage Question

SuperMiguel

Mar 30, 2010
So i created a raidz zfs with 4 drives, and created few pools, now i want to use one of my pools for data like for a file/media server, how should i add it to proxmox? ass a ZFS or as a directory?? I may need to access folder of this pool from different vms? I see the shared checkbox when adding it as a directory but not when doing zfs..

I suppose you created one pool consisting of your 4 drives, right? Could you please post the output of

Code:
zpool status -v

(and please use CODE tags for better readability)

So i have 2 pools
rpool my install pool (3 ssd in raid 1) and data which is 4 1tb drives

Code:
zpool status -v
  pool: data
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        data        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdd     ONLINE       0     0     0
            sde     ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdf     ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdg     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Sun Sep 10 00:24:13 2017
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sda2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdb2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdc2    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

If you use containers you an use mount points which i find are the best to work with, alternatively I would recommend setting up NFS/samba on the pool and mounting it via that way in your vms.

If you use containers you an use mount points which i find are the best to work with, alternatively I would recommend setting up NFS/samba on the pool and mounting it via that way in your vms.

Yup im using containers, if i add the storage to my datacenter as directory i can mount it to multiple containers if i add it as ZFS only one right?

Yup im using containers, if i add the storage to my datacenter as directory i can mount it to multiple containers if i add it as ZFS only one right?

What i personally do for say media is

Code:
zfs create data/media

To create a media dataset and then mount it to the drives by editing their config via terminal

For instance if the node ID was 100 you would want to edit /etc/pve/lxc/100.conf and add this line
Code:
mp0: /data/media,mp=/mnt/media

Note that the /mnt/media folder needs to exist before adding this and that there cannot be any spaces before and after the comma otherwise it wont work. Its very picky about it.

So after i create a zfs pool, created data/data, so the question is whats the best way to mount this inside promox? i have two options mount it as ZFS or mount it as a directory, any speed difference between the two? any considerations or issues between the two? also i want to be able to access the same share from different containers, like i will have 1 container running a file server, and another one maybe running a media server so there will be some files used by both. If i mount it as a directory there is a checkbox that says shared does this do what i want?

when you do zfs create data/data it should automatically mount it, at least in my experience.

As for the checkbox i dont know where that is.

gqlall
ViZogS8FTs_r1GwRKfSq8g.png
BavmARy9Rvmp11w5FC3mIg.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!