Yet another "Renamed my node and broke it" post....

AdminKMC

Feb 27, 2024
EDIT: Found a workaround by restarting the pveproxy service, but the lesson here is to read the documentation thoroughly before making changes. While I can manually get rid of the question marks, who knows what else is broken in the background.

I have a stand alone node that was named "PVE" on install when it was supposed to be named "PVE4". My tech then installed a test Windows VM on it. I didn't RTFM and edited hosts and hostname with a VM on the node.

After rebooting, I saw my mistake and renamed the node back. Backed up the VM and deleted it. Then when the node had no VMs or containers I edited hosts, hostname, and deleted the old node name under /etc/pve/nodes.

On reboot, the node shows the new name, but the node and it's local and local-lvm storage all show the dreaded question marks of doom. This is just a test machine and I can wipe it, but it seems like a good exercise to see if I can resolve this without reformatting.

My question: Is the node totally broken due to the original name change with a VM on it, or is this something recoverable via editing a few files I'm not yet aware of?

2024-09-12 09_20_01-pve4 - Proxmox Virtual Environment — Mozilla Firefox.png

Thanks,
AKMC

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!