YASQ: Is raw format considered "thin" storage?

KuJoe

Sep 5, 2011
In my many hours of researching the various KVM image formats, I've finally decided on which to use but after implementing my choice I'm a bit confused. I was planning on using VMDK (VIRTIO) because it performed better under my local tests and because I was told it was considered "thin storage" (storage is increased as usage grows) and raw format is considered "thick storage" (storage is created at the max size so that space is considered unusable by the rest of the hardware node).

So I setup my KVM VM with VMDK (VIRTIO) and noticed horrible performance for the VM after building it, not sure why but that's not the point of this thread. I built an identical KVM VM but used raw (VIRTIO) but when looking under Storage under the "Used" column it didn't increase 200GB (size of the VM) yet when I look at the .raw file in /var/lib/vz/images/### it does show 200GB. Why is this? Is the raw format not really "thick storage"? If somebody can enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for the link! Awesome information indeed. So how does VZDump handle .raw files? Does it backup the whole file or just the non-metadata?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!