XFS JBOD volume in Proxmox 7.1?

MartiniGuy

Jan 25, 2022
Hi - total n00b here. I just got into Proxmox but I cannot figure out how to concatenate disks into a single volume.

I try the Directory feature to format one disk at a time as XFS - it only allows a single disk to show up as storage.

I try LVM - it says "No disks unused" and I can only create a Volume Group out of one disk at a time.

I do NOT want RAID(x) - I just want to create a huge single volume out of my 5 disks (2TB to 5TB in size).

What am I missing? Going nutz. Thanks!

I just want to create a huge single volume out of my 5 disks (2TB to 5TB in size).
Thats in general not a good idea as your storage will get way more unreliable.

If you still want a JBOD you could use the CLI to create such a LVM yourself and then add it as a storage to PVE.

@Dunuin thanks for your reply - yes, I understand it's completely unsafe. I'll accept the risk, this server doesn't need safety. I'm just learning on this box, it's an old Core 2 Quad / 8GB RAM system I've assembled with spare parts.

So I would have to use LVM on the command line to stitch these together, ok. I saw on YouTube that creating a Directory is more flexible, but it's limited to one disk or RAID volume at a time. Gotcha.

@Dunuin thanks for your reply - yes, I understand it's completely unsafe. I'll accept the risk, this server doesn't need safety. I'm just learning on this box, it's an old Core 2 Quad / 8GB RAM system I've assembled with spare parts.

So I would have to use LVM on the command line to stitch these together, ok. I saw on YouTube that creating a Directory is more flexible, but it's limited to one disk or RAID volume at a time. Gotcha.
You can use the LVM commands to create a VG that spans over multiple PVs. You can then add a LV in that VG and use it as a directory storage in proxmox and/or create a LV with LVM-Thin ontop and add it as a LVM-Thin Storage in PVE for guest disks.

If your mainboards chipset supports onboard raid with JBOD you could use that too.
Using mdadm software raid would also be an option. Looks like its 'linear mode' is a JBOD. Mdadm isn't officially supported but works fine.
And a ZFS stripe (raid0) also should be able to use different sized disks.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!