XFS for LXC container

Nov 2, 2016
Hello,
is there a workaround (or a tweak for mount options for the backup process) for a LXC container to work correctly with XFS mount point?

Currently for a newly created CT I can simply attach an ext4 volume from the GUI and then convert it to xfs volume but it breaks backup as XFS doesn't support the 'noload' mount option:

[ 2129.625945] XFS (dm-28): unknown mount option [noload].

Nov 2 19:54:53 box pvedaemon[13563]: ERROR: Backup of VM 113 failed - command 'mount -o ro,noload /dev/dm-28 /mnt/vzsnap0//data' failed: exit code 32
Nov 2 19:54:53 box pvedaemon[13563]: INFO: Backup job finished with errors

ext4 is the default filesystem for lxc but to attach an new one you just go to particular container in the GUI then choose Resources and there is an Add / Mount point option.
I still don't understand how you are able to use XFS for the container's raw file when LXC containers seem to have been hard-wired to use ext4? Do you mind briefly running through it?

I still don't understand how you are able to use XFS for the container's raw file when LXC containers seem to have been hard-wired to use ext4? Do you mind briefly running through it?
Rather than raw files I'm using thin provisioned LVS volumes (probably would be the same with zfs backed zvols) so when the container is stopped you can convert (and mount if needed) the volumes on the host.

p.s. There is no (at least I don't know) straight forward ext4->xfs conversion without data loss. So while it's simple with empty volumes/mount points, for the rootfs you have to mount the volume, then backup the data, format and then sync it back. Afterwards you can just quickly clone new LXC cotainers with vzdump and pct restore to keep the setup .. just the backup function won't work from the GUI.

Last edited:
There is no (at least I don't know) straight forward ext4->xfs conversion without data loss. So while it's simple with empty volumes/mount points, for the rootfs you have to mount the volume, then backup the data, format and then sync it back. Afterwards you can just quickly clone new LXC cotainers with vzdump and pct restore to keep the setup .. just the backup function won't work from the GUI.
What do you recommend to use to back up the rootfs? Rsync? Tar?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!