[SOLVED] X550 / X550-T2 Duplex Auto Negotiation

lllsondowlll

Oct 18, 2022
I just wanted to document the fix here since I ran into this problem and couldn't find the fix anywhere. My host and VM were unable to communicate with my modem over 5Gbps, even if I forced negotiation on the modem to no avail. I ran ethtool and discovered the full list of negotiation / speed capabilities were showing: 10/100/1000/2500/5000/10000 (Mbps)
However, the autonegotiation was only advertising 10/100/1000 (Mbps). To fix this I navigated to Proxmox > Shell and executed the following commands:
Code:
apt update
apt install ethtool
nano /etc/network/interfaces

I then added the following pre-up entries below the "iface" lines that represented my WAN and LAN adapters to /etc/network/interfaces:

Bash:
iface enp1s0f0 inet manual
pre-up /usr/sbin/ethtool -s enp1s0f0 advertise 0x1800000001028
#WAN

iface enp1s0f1 inet manual
pre-up /usr/sbin/ethtool -s enp1s0f1 advertise 0x1800000001028
#LAN

The pre-up lines we added underneath our interfaces execute the following actions on start up:
pre-up = Loads the command during startup.
/usr/sbin/ethtool = Ethtool used for controlling and modifying network driver behavior.
-s = Calls settings parameter.
enp1s0fx = Calls the name of the network adapter we are calling the settings for.
advertise = Calls the setting arguement for advertising autonegotiation speed and duplex.
0x1800000001028 = Sets the speed and duplex advertised by autonegotiation. This value is a combination (additive sum) of the following values:
Code:
0x008 - 100baseT
0x020 - 1000baseT Full
0x800000000000 - 2500baseT Full
0x1000000000000 - 5000baseT Full
0x1000 - 10000baseT Full

Press CTRL + X to receive a prompt if you wish to save. Type "Y" for yes.
Reboot and now your network adapters should be advertising the full capabilities of the network. 2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps, and 10 Gbps should now be available when connecting a compatible network device that autonegotiates those speeds.

I would eventually like to see a frontend for ethtool when modifying the network adapter settings in the Proxmox GUI.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am virtualizing my X550-T2 as well. I have two nic installed with total of 4 port. For some reason when I run ip -a, only one port actually showed up. HOwever, when I run lspci I see all of them listed. I am able to add pcie to my node. However it only stop at 1gbe but not allow me to do 2.5gbe or 10gbe.

May I ask what i may have done wrong?

The one that actually showed up it advertised only 100/1000/10000/ not 2.5gbe
Supported ports: [ TP ] Supported link modes: 100baseT/Full 1000baseT/Full 10000baseT/Full 2500baseT/Full 5000baseT/Full Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Supports auto-negotiation: Yes Supported FEC modes: Not reported Advertised link modes: 100baseT/Full 1000baseT/Full 10000baseT/Full Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes Advertised FEC modes: Not reported Speed: Unknown! Duplex: Unknown! (255) Auto-negotiation: on Port: Twisted Pair PHYAD: 0 Transceiver: internal MDI-X: Unknown Supports Wake-on: d Wake-on: d Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) drv probe link Link detected: no
I hope to hear back from you.

Thank you so much

Last edited:
Hello,

I am virtualizing my X550-T2 as well. I have two nic installed with total of 4 port. For some reason when I run ip -a, only one port actually showed up. HOwever, when I run lspci I see all of them listed. I am able to add pcie to my node. However it only stop at 1gbe but not allow me to do 2.5gbe or 10gbe.

May I ask what i may have done wrong?

The one that actually showed up it advertised only 100/1000/10000/ not 2.5gbe
Supported ports: [ TP ] Supported link modes: 100baseT/Full 1000baseT/Full 10000baseT/Full 2500baseT/Full 5000baseT/Full Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Supports auto-negotiation: Yes Supported FEC modes: Not reported Advertised link modes: 100baseT/Full 1000baseT/Full 10000baseT/Full Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes Advertised FEC modes: Not reported Speed: Unknown! Duplex: Unknown! (255) Auto-negotiation: on Port: Twisted Pair PHYAD: 0 Transceiver: internal MDI-X: Unknown Supports Wake-on: d Wake-on: d Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) drv probe link Link detected: no
I hope to hear back from you.

Thank you so much
So this is the same problem I ran into where the supported link modes do not translate to the advertised link modes. You need to follow the instructions in my first post to fix it. Check under proxmox > network in the webgui to verify the devices are showing up and gather the correct device names, it may not simply be "enp1s0f0" for you. Also verify nothing has them passed through when you are running this fix. Verify you have an active link to a compatible 2.5Gbps / 5Gbps device and see if you need to add them to a linux bridge before they show up.

Last edited:
I came here to say that this worked for me on an Epyc ROMED8-2T board with X550 ports built-in. I needed mine to work at 2.5gb, though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!