X520-DA1 only getting 1Gb

Pikaty

Jan 1, 2023
So, like the title says, I'm only getting about 1.05Gbits/sec of bandwidth with iperf3 on my proxmox node.

Doesn't matter if it's from VM to host, my personnal windows 10 machine (which also has a 10Gb NIC) to proxmox host or anything else, they all get about the same 1Gb speed.

I tried changing the MTU to 9000, made sure to be using VirtIO, but no dice. CPU and RAM usage are fairly low when doing those tests, so I doubt that's where the bottleneck lies.

I did add the 10Gb nic to an already running proxmox node, so is it possible that it needs a fresh install for drivers?

The switch to which the proxmox node is connected to, does recognize the speed to be 10Gb, and on the node itself with ethtool it does report to be running at 10Gb.

Settings for enp1s0:
Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
Supported link modes: 10000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
Supports auto-negotiation: No
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Advertised auto-negotiation: No
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 10000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Auto-negotiation: off
Port: Direct Attach Copper
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Supports Wake-on: d
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
drv probe link
Link detected: yes

Anyone has any recommendations?

I think if the 10Gb NIC is on the same subnet as your 1Gb NIC and the gateway for that subnet is set on the 1Gb NIC then I think I've seen this behaviour before.

I think if the 10Gb NIC is on the same subnet as your 1Gb NIC and the gateway for that subnet is set on the 1Gb NIC then I think I've seen this behaviour before.
I made sure to disable the 1Gb NIC to avoid this. Everything from the host to every VM is using the 10Gb NIC.

Last edited:
can you share your proxmox host network config (etc/network/interfaces)

also what driver is being used (lspci -v | grep Ethernet)

Here is /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual
#MOBO Port

iface enp1s0 inet manual
#SFP+ Port

iface enp3s0f0 inet manual
#1G PCIE Port

iface enp3s0f1 inet manual
#1G PCIE Port

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet manual
bridge-ports enp1s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr3.99
iface vmbr3.99 inet static
address 10.0.0.10/24
gateway 10.0.0.1

And here is lspci -v | grep Ethernet:

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (14) I219-V (rev 11)
DeviceName: Onboard - Ethernet
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Ethernet Connection (14) I219-V
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599 10 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!