Wrong memory usage value

towerman

Jan 22, 2019
Italy
Hi all,

since few days, the memory usage value of a virtual machine is always at the peak, but using the console the value is so much different.
I have tried to update QEMU agent, baloon driver, serial driver but nothing has changed.

pve-memory.png

The virtual machine runs Windows Server 2016.
What should I do for having the right value back?

Thanks!

Reactions: KORG
You has to install the ballooning service.
The driver alone does nothing.

Can you send the VM config.

Can you send the VM config.
Code:
agent: 1
boot: cdn
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 16
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 24576
name: mail01
net0: virtio=D6:4A:B8:D7:1C:65,bridge=vmbr0,tag=6
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
parent: autodaily190702000003
scsi0: cephpool:vm-110-disk-4,discard=on,size=65G
scsi1: cephpool:vm-110-disk-2,discard=on,size=800G
scsi2: cephpool:vm-110-disk-3,discard=on,size=3048G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=84c2c3bf-30ce-47a9-9d34-35d4c7d1a6e4
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 2d0b9fef-6898-4f23-84e8-1bc71edd358e

I noticed that SWAP is not calculated correctly on alpine linux it says the full system swap when i have alocated 256mb only.

It is because Alpine's busybox version of "free" calls sysinfo() to get memory instead of reading /proc/meminfo like standard versions. There's nothing you can do to fix it. Not all syscalls have been containerized in the kernel.

ETA: I mean, someone _could_fix it by patching busybox.

Not a Windows guy, but if I'm reading that right the VM is using most of the remaining memory for cache. So it is "in use" as far as Proxmox knows, but "available" to Windows.

Also, you have not set min/max values for memory in the VM configuration so the balloon won't do anything.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!