Write cache policy for VM's with running RDMBS'

Frank77

Jul 23, 2013
Hello.

I have got several questions about cache levels.
What are the best practices about VM's cache policy knowing that I prefer security ?
Here is my configuration.

- There are 2 Proxmox servers and 2 NAS'.
- Proxmox servers have a Gluster volume configured.

I would like your help to find all cache levels to determine the risks for RDBMS' (SQLServer / MySQL / Oracle).

I succeed in finding 7 to 8 different cache levels between the RDBMS user process and my hard drive. (Bold ones are disabled but I don't know how to effectively test my configuration).

- Guest page cache.
- Virtual disk drive write cache. (Disabled with cache=directsync parameter passed to KVM process)
- Host page cache.
(Disabled with cache=directsync parameter passed to KVM process)
- GlusterFS cache. (Disabled with performance.write-behind and performance.flush-behind both turned off)
- NAS page cache (is this level used by gluster ?).
- XFS cache (filesystem). (I used wsync flag but I got poor performance so I removed it)
- RAID controller write cache. (This is turned off because I don't have any bacup battery)
- Physical hard drive write cache (This is also turned off).

I just wondered if I am right about identified cache levels. Now I don't know if with those cache levels disabled risks are reduced enough.
Indeed, I got 3 databases corrupted during the last few month during my tests (once because of a faulty UPS and later because of freezed I/O) but I had guest virtual disk drive write cache enabled (cache=none configured in VM configuration).

I have got mainly Windows VM's and few Linux VM's.
Do you know how are handled fsync() calls from guests ? Are FS barriers enabled from guests to physical hard drive ?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!