Worried about a missing local-lvm

stsinc

Apr 15, 2021
Proxmox is our main work infrastructure environment here and I would like to leave no corners unexplored, in order to anticipate any future issue.

In one of our nodes, I have this:
Screenshot-20210419-102418.png

The local-lvm storage entry is missing and, indeed, when I click on its line, nothing shows in the Status or Usage sections of the Web interface.
I also checked the Disks list of the node and I get this:

Screenshot-20210419-102438.png
All the internal attached disks are here.

So: How do I fix the missing local-lvm entry?
Best,
Stephen

What does storage.cfg or the respective entry under Datacenter->Storage say about local-lvm?
Your screenshot doesn't show a thin lvm, so that's probably the reason for the question mark. But how did the storage entry get there in the first place? Maybe someone added the storage on another node in the cluster and checked the "shared" box?
In case there is no local-lvm on that particular node, it's safe to restrict the storage definition to the nodes that actually have a thin lvm.

Last edited:
Hi,
What does storage.cfg or the respective entry under Datacenter->Storage say about local-lvm?
Your screenshot doesn't show a thin lvm, so that's probably the reason for the question mark. But how did the storage entry get there in the first place? Maybe someone added the storage on another node in the cluster and checked the "shared" box?
In case there is no local-lvm on that particular node, it's safe to restrict the storage definition to the nodes that actually have a thin lvm.
I don't think we distinguish between LVM and LVM Thin for the general disk usage in that panel.

Proxmox is our main work infrastructure environment here and I would like to leave no corners unexplored, in order to anticipate any future issue.

In one of our nodes, I have this:
View attachment 25383

The local-lvm storage entry is missing and, indeed, when I click on its line, nothing shows in the Status or Usage sections of the Web interface.
I also checked the Disks list of the node and I get this:

View attachment 25384
All the internal attached disks are here.

So: How do I fix the missing local-lvm entry?
Best,
Stephen
What does lvs and vgs show? Please also share the local-lvm entry in /etc/pve/storage.cfg as @ph0x suggested.

Here you go:
- LVS:
lvs LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert root pve -wi-ao---- 59.25g swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
- VGS:
vgs VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree pve 1 2 0 wz--n- 237.97g 170.72g
- Storage.cfg entry:
dir: local path /var/lib/vz content vztmpl,backup,iso lvmthin: local-lvm thinpool data vgname pve content images,rootdir

Here you go:
- LVS:
lvs LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert root pve -wi-ao---- 59.25g swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
- VGS:
vgs VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree pve 1 2 0 wz--n- 237.97g 170.72g
- Storage.cfg entry:
dir: local path /var/lib/vz content vztmpl,backup,iso lvmthin: local-lvm thinpool data vgname pve content images,rootdir
There is no data logical volume in the pve volume group. It does seem like the disk comes from a standard PVE with LVM installation, but most likely the thin pool was removed at some point in the past. You can either create a thin pool on this node too, or simply edit the storage in PVE and restrict it to the nodes where it is actually available.

.. or simply edit the storage in PVE and restrict it to the nodes where it is actually available...
Hello, I'm trying to do this, but I don't find such instruction "limiting the local storage to the local node" on the documentation.

Last edited:
Hi,
Hello, I'm trying to do this, but I don't find such instruction "limiting the local storage to the local node" on the documentation.
it's the nodes property in the storage configuration /etc/pve/storage.cfg, see here. But it can also be done in the GUI via Datacenter > Storage > Edit.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!