Won't load the Proxmox GUI

lwalper

Jun 22, 2023
New user here --

Just installed the most recent version (VE 7.4), have rebooted, logged in and am at the prompt. Everything looks OK.

Have gone to another PC on the same home network and tried to log into the Proxmox GUI on my web browser at the recommended https://192.168.100.2:8006/ and my browser times out. Where's my GUI interface?

New user here --

Just installed the most recent version (VE 7.4), have rebooted, logged in and am at the prompt. Everything looks OK.

Have gone to another PC on the same home network and tried to log into the Proxmox GUI on my web browser at the recommended https://192.168.100.2:8006/ and my browser times out. Where's my GUI interface?
Install it with a free IP of your routers subnet that is not part of your routers DHCP-server IP range...
If you use the default 192.168.100.2 and don't fit that to your actual existing LAN, only computers with a IP 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.3 to 192.168.100.255 will be able to access the PVE server.
And your routers IP should be the gateway and DNS server or internet won't work.

I would recommend to read a bit about the network basics. Like what a subnet mask is, a gateway, routes, DHCP, NAT and so on.

Last edited:
Does your server has network connection? Can other machines ping the PVE server?

Does your server has network connection? Can other machines ping the PVE server?
1. I believe so?
2. No
3. I'm guessing that the the IP was assigned by the router
4. The subnet was assigned 192.168.100.1
5. I do have VMwar installed and when I run ipconfig /all I get

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-08
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.110.1(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Did Proxmox use an IP that was already assigned?

I've watched a few videos -- so far not very helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5axVd19Jris -- too much coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NfZ1R6jrXQ -- poor video quality, but I did try to follow his guidance

Last edited:
Please try pinging another machine in your network from the PVE server to see if it can see the rest of the network. Also please share the output of ip a and the contents of /etc/network/interfaces from the PVE server.

I pinged another computer on the network. Looks like it sent 58 bytes of data with no response. I run the command, but sharing the output or contents of any file/command is difficult since since the PVE server has been installed bare metal and there's no browser on that computer.

Last edited:
Since I was having trouble getting Proxmox to see my router, I tried installing bare metal TrueNAS which went without a hitch, with DHCP returning an IP address that I could access the TrueNAS interface. I guess my router works. Now, back to Proxmox. What's it going to take to get it to work? I know I have a good IP address ... so I can use that I suppose.

Last edited:
You should be able to ssh into the machine with the same ip you used (ssh root@IP), then make sure both /etc/network/interfaces and
/etc/hosts have the same ip that you used to connect to the server, if you are using DHCP make sure this ip is outside of the DHCP range.

I can ping other computers on the network, but I still cannot access the web interface.

Here is /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.15/24
        gateway 255.255.255.0
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
and /etc/hosts
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.15 cherokee.local cherokee

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
[/hosts]

This is the message I get back when I try to connect to the web interface
Code:
This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.15 refused to connect.

Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Refusing to connect and being unable to connect are two different things. What needs to be done to enable the connection? The connection seems to work, but appears to be blocked by something?

So, I turned off the Windows firewall for private networks (switched it to "allow incoming" and -- presto!! web interface is now available.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!