windows xp vm reboot loop

j0004

Jun 19, 2012
Finally got my existing physical server migrated to proxmox VE KVM using selfimage. Now the image is locked into a reboot cycle. One post suggested trying to do a repair and go thru reactivation; Is that what has to be done?

Thanks so much for the reply, Yes I merged the mergeide registry file prior to migration. Only I used the proxmox download file : http://www.proxmox.com/downloads/proxmox-ve/misc/59-mergeide did not try to do a customized mergeide file as detailed in : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us .
Decided to try windows8 preview iso before trying to redo anything : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso . Had really good luck with that . Will be glad to detail install but still working out a few bugs.

There may be a driver (or sometimes some software) loaded on the physical machine that must be uninstalled before the SelfImage. I have experienced this same issue. In all but one case, removing all hardware specific drivers solved the issue (the one exception was a Windows Domain Controller.)

Sorry don't have much time during the day to reply back. This is personal use weekend endeavor. Its a really old laptop still has afew good programs that would be nice to access virtually if possible. Its a Great Quality MX-3203 I believe made by Elitegroup Co. system model ECS G320. Bios American Megatrends; Processor VIA Nehemiah 1200MHZ; Memory 1GB; OS Windows XP Home 32 bit.

I've encountered this issue with several different physical machines that i virtualized with SelfImage to Proxmox (btw, these instances would not boot into safe mode either.) The culprits were these:
- Video driver.
- Fiber channel driver and the system expecting to see a drive via fc.
- Backup software expecting to see a scsi tape drive.
- Physical hardware oem management software and it's drivers.

My solution was to 1st uninstall all software and drivers like these. Then shut down the physical machine. Remove any associated cards, devices, etc. Take the machine through 2 more complete bootup/shutdowns (not reboots) to make sure the boot process occurs without errors. Then run SelfImage.

As i mentioned earlier, this worked in all but one instance (domain controller).

Sorry haven't had a chance to look at this again till now. Yes I tried every boot option. Safe mode even errors out to blue screen and reboots.
As stated before this is a cheap laptop. I have no cards or devices I can remove. There is nothing like Marvin listed. With the exception of a video driver I have a codec combo driver, display adapter, default monitor and digital flat panel that have drivers I could remove but I am very reluctant to try that.

With the exception of a video driver I have a codec combo driver, display adapter, default monitor and digital flat panel that have drivers I could remove but I am very reluctant to try that.

Your loop most likely is caused by an incompatible driver. If you're concerned about removing it then you should back up your hard drive with clonezilla or similar so you can restore it after you're done.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!