Windows XP / server 2003 hangs on shutdown/reboot

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
i've just installed a windows XP (and Server 2003) box and notising a strange issue where the server is told to reboot, it goes all the way through to shutdown the system but doesnt actually power off the machine... it just sits and hangs with the mouse not responding. If the VM is switched of and then restarted it works fine and seems to not even know if didnt shutdown correctly.

any suggestions?

search the forum, you will find a lot of hints and the solution.

i have the same problems on some of our windows 2003 and windows 2000 servers. didn´t find something in forum. it happens also on the freshly updated 2.1 cluster. it did not happen on virtual 2008 servers.

best regards
macday

seems I mixed something up, this is not acpi shutdown related.

will try to reproduce here. I assume you run latest packages and virtio drivers?

seems I mixed something up, this is not acpi shutdown related.

will try to reproduce here. I assume you run latest packages and virtio drivers?

Not had any luck getting the virtio drivers to work so just running on RAW. Not go any issues with any other systems running RAW. I have a W2k3 box that is happily running, that i backup/restored from my 1.9 cluster.

Code:
pve-manager: 2.1-1 (pve-manager/2.1/f9b0f63a)
running kernel: 2.6.32-12-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.1-68
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-66
pve-kernel-2.6.32-12-pve: 2.6.32-68
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.8-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.7-2
pve-cluster: 1.0-26
qemu-server: 2.0-39
pve-firmware: 1.0-16
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-27
libpve-access-control: 1.0-21
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-18
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
root@voyager:~#

Not had any luck getting the virtio drivers to work so just running on RAW. Not go any issues with any other systems running RAW. I have a W2k3 box that is happily running, that i backup/restored from my 1.9 cluster.

what do you mean with you had no luck and what is "running on RAW"?

btw, you run an outdated version.

HDD is raw mode - i cant get virtio to work on my setup (mainly coz i havent spent too much time working on it)

I will update and see how i get on...

so you use RAW format for your disk images. but this has nothing to do with the bus used (virtio, ide, scsi).

ah my mistake - all my servers use IDE - they're mostly converted VMware although i've got a few 'fresh' installs running now.

I have updated two of my 3 servers although the online migration from my last server to an updated server failed on every attempt. I will have to wait til tonight to power down the last server as i cannot afford for it to crash. I was migrating to an identical R415 system.

I have changed the amount of CPU cores on the original machine and it is working fine with one socket/core, it was assigned one socket with 4 cores - the physical server it is running is has dual 8 core AMD cpus.

i've got no issues with any of the VMware converts - they're working fine so i'm leaving them alone! :)

the issue seems to be when the XP / W2K3 box has 4 CPUs - 1S/1C & 1S/2C are working fine - 1S/4C and the system hangs at the end of a shutdown/reboot - the OS runs happily otherwise.

Reactions: elmemis
i've got no issues with any of the VMware converts - they're working fine so i'm leaving them alone! :)

the issue seems to be when the XP / W2K3 box has 4 CPUs - 1S/1C & 1S/2C are working fine - 1S/4C and the system hangs at the end of a shutdown/reboot - the OS runs happily otherwise.

yes I can confirm this, too...has someone tried to switch to 2S/2C ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!