Windows VM's lose network connectivity

AngryAdm

Sep 5, 2020
After updating PM a while ago my windows vm's lost network connectivity. All 10 of em.
-Fixed it, set IP's again

Yesterday after updating PM my windows vm's lost network connectivity. All 10 em.
-Getting anoyed by this.

All vm's now have "redhat ...... #2" which is unconfigured.

What is going on here?

Last edited:
We have also problems after updating PM. (from 6.2.x to 6.3.x if I remember correct)

Windows server have then an interface with DHCP (was fixed IP before)
When I try to give this interface the norml IP address a message pops up that there is already an interface with this address.
If you tell windows to delete this other interface everything works again.

Anyone else with such a problem?

Ok, found the other threads about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryAdm
We have also problems after updating PM. (from 6.2.x to 6.3.x if I remember correct)

Windows server have then an interface with DHCP (was fixed IP before)
When I try to give this interface the norml IP address a message pops up that there is already an interface with this address.
If you tell windows to delete this other interface everything works again.

Anyone else with such a problem?

Ok, found the other threads about this.
Yeah, I found other threads about this aswell, but I guessed they were about the first time this happened. Just now it happened again :/
If this keeps happening each time we update PM I see big problems ahead :/

Same happened with me. I have 2 nics in 2 Windows VMs so had to change 4 connections :(

In the device manager if you go to View and check "Show hidden devices" it will show the "old" NICs there. I compared several properties under the "Details" tab for "old" and "new" ones and the only difference I could find was the "Parent" one. The "old" nics have ACPI\PNP0A03\0 and "new" ones have ACPI\PNP0A03\1

My guess is something was changed in qemu-server:amd64 (6.3-5, 6.3-7) package which changed "Machine type" compatibility, even though all my vms are set to pc-i440fx-5.1 which should retain compatibility.

EDIT: Yup, played with "Machine type" setting on a less important VM and it indeed adds and switches between "Red Hat VirtIO Ethernet Adapter" and "Red Hat VirtIO Ethernet Adapter #2". I only switched between pc-i440fx-5.1 and pc-i440fx-5.2. I guess something to try if it happens again - just try a newer/older machine type version to bring configured NICs back.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryAdm
Same problem here!
After an update and reboot of PVE, all windows 2019 server changed their static ip to dynamic...
So did you try to go to VM->Hardware->Machine (Make sure "Advanced" is ticked) and change "Version" to one newer (or older) before you reconfigured the NICs within the VM itself? I didn't have a change before I discovered this.

Thank's for your trick it work for me, but i did not explain why the PM upgrade brake vm config and where is the bug.

Reactions: Universal4
Last edited:
Reactions: fpausp

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!