Windows VMs freezing during reboots after patching

jslanier

Jan 19, 2019
I have noticed that as of a few months ago, my Windows VMs in 3 different environments are failing to reboot successfully after patching. I automate patching to happen during non-business hours, and in 3 different environments I have logged in on the day following patches and found that the VMs never came back up. They were stuck at the screen with the Windows logo and the circular dotted spinning thing. After stopping the VMs in Proxmox and then starting them, they would finish their reboot and patching procedure successfully. Has this happened to anyone else? I am using ZFS storage in 2 environments with the virtio scsi driver and MPIO iscsi with virtio scsi in the third environment. I updated the balloon driver, scsi driver, and guest agents on each VM to the latest stable versions yesterday and noticed that the issue still happened afterwards.

I patched the clustered environment (MPIO storage) from 7.0-11 to 7.0-14 yesterday, and I have yet to patch the other 2, but I believe they are also on 7.0-11. Has anyone else noticed this?

Do you have SPICE display on some of his machine? It is black, or it is flashing when freeze happen? My is flashing.

Do you have SPICE display on some of his machine? It is black, or it is flashing when freeze happen? My is flashing.
I do not use SPICE, and my console screen does not flash. It sounds like we have different issues.

Hi Jslanier,

We experience the same thing, are the vm's server 2019?
We patched last week from 6.x to 7.x also upgrade Ceph to new version.

I do not use SPICE, and my console screen does not flash. It sounds like we have different issues.
If you dont have SPICE, your noVNC console is black, or some freezed graphic. If you have SPICE, it flash. Maybe we have, but symptoms are vey simmilar.

It’s not an vnc spice bug. Really the vm hangs on spinning. Just start stop or reset the vm and it boots up.

We also don’t use spice

It’s not an vnc spice bug. Really the vm hangs on spinning. Just start stop or reset the vm and it boots up.

We also don’t use

We also don’t use spice

It sounds like your issue is the same as mine. How do we get this reported as a bug?

I have the same problem - with VM Windows11 freezing after update do Proxmox 7.1-5. Any solution?

I was having this problem for both UEFI and SeaBIOS machines. The above kernel upgrade appears to have fixed it!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!