Windows VM using more memory then allocated

H4R0

Apr 5, 2020
I setup a windows 10 VM with ballooning of 512mb/2048mb

PVE is up to date, windows is up to date and I used the newest virtio ballooning drivers 0.1.185

The VM is taking more memory then has been allocated to it. It should not exceed 2048mb = 2GB.

The VM starts with ~1.5GB, after some hours the kvm process uses 4GB, then after a while it drops down to 3,2GB and seems to stay there.

This is what the server memory summary looks like, before the VM boot memory was at 21.4GB, the peak was 26.4GB and then it settled at 24.6GB:

1605903287038.png

VM summary:
1605901403006.png 1605903409431.png

Given that the VM summary shows a memory usage of 1,43GB why does it use 3,2GB memory.

That's actual used memory and not buffers/cache as soon as I stop the VM the Server Summary as well as "free -m" and "htop" show 3,2GB less memory usage.

Last edited:
There is some issue with the ballooning service / driver.

Disabled ballooning and the problem is gone, memory usage stays below 2GB.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!