Windows VM stuck in automatic repair boot loop, after NAS crash

Dec 26, 2018
Hi.

So we are testing a couple of Synology Rackstation NAS in HA mode.

Repeatedly crashed one of them for testing, now one of the VMs are stuck in "automatic repair boot" loop.

Proxmox is too quick to let me press any F5 or F8 combo between Proxmox bios and windows loading.

I have tried all options in the automatic repair. no luck.

I have tried to repair using windows 10 CD, and clicking the repair button, but i guess windows install cannot find the disk on ceph.

I have tried "upgrade" in the windows install, but windows still cannot find the drive, because the drivers are loaded when you press "new install" and not "upgrade"

"upgrade" Windows from offline system isn't possible since Windows vista
it's only possible from running system.
you can boot from a winpe to check if disk and content are present.
then you can try to delete/recreate bcd boot files

Reactions: potetpro
I made a clone of the broken VM, and tried to fix it with the W10 iso, and with the built in "automatic repair"

I have not tried the bootrec.exe fixes, but i tried to use the automatic repair.

Both with W10 iso, and with the build in "automatic repair" loop, you can open a CMD, and load the vioscsi.inf file from the virtio ISO.
Windows managed to repair something, but both times after reboot, it get stuck during the loading of windows, and flashes the screen with round 1-2 seconds delay.

Tips:
-You can use "diskpart list disk" to see if the installer sees the disks.
-You can use "diskpart list volume" to show what drive VIRTIO is mounted.

Did not mange to fix the VM yet, but i tried to fail both NAS multiple times, and it did not happen again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!