Windows VM not waking up from sleep

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

I have a Windows (10) VM with guest agent installed.

If not used, after a while, it goes to sleep (as you would expect). But I can't manage to wake it up again:

- Proxmox wb gui offers "Resume" but when I click it, instead of waking up it shuts down completely (for all I know, it might actually, briefly, resume and then shut down, but even if it does, that doesn't help me).

- I have tried to enable the mouse and keyboard to wake Windows up, but the option is greyed out.

Any ideas what I can do about that?

Thanks

Hi,

If not used, after a while, it goes to sleep (as you would expect). But I can't manage to wake it up again:
try to not put your Windows into sleep mode then try again.

If still the issue please post output of PVE version pveversion -v

Hi Moayad,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure I completely understand the idea here:

When Windows goes to sleep (which in itself is okay), I can't resume it from the Proxmox web gui and Windows doesn't let me allow the mouse/keyboard to wake it up).

And you suggest not to let Windows go to sleep and then try again.

But if it is not asleep - what is there to try? Sorry, if I'm a bit slow here...

Regards,

Hi,

When Windows goes to sleep (which in itself is okay),

Sleep mode is good for short term use like for an hour because computer will wake up really fast, but for extended hours or days not.

I can't resume it from the Proxmox web gui and Windows doesn't let me allow the mouse/keyboard to wake it up).
Works here, can you post qm config <VMID> for your Windows VM and pveversion -v as well

But if it is not asleep - what is there to try? Sorry, if I'm a bit slow here...
It was my mistake. I wanted to say to don't put sleep mode in windows VM if you don't need it

Not allowing the VM to sleep seems to be the only option for now.

Does it actually make a difference (power consumption-wise) whether a VM goes to sleep or not? Or is the consumption the same as long as the host is awake (and I take it, PVE doesn't go to sleep when there is nothing to do)?

Same issue. And I need vpn to sleep and wish it could also do hibernate as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!