[SOLVED] Windows VM Migration issues (BSOD) Safe mode boots fine

Morehouse

Dec 4, 2016
As the title suggests I'm having some issues migrating several Windows Guests (2012 R2 and 2016) from XenServer 7 to Proxmox 4.3. All my attempts have the same issue. A normal boot fails just after the windows logo appears with a blue screen saying "Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart", reboots, does the same thing again then boots into automatic repair. Windows 2016 is slightly different as I get a similar blue screen but provides me the error "System thread exception not handled" I've been migrating the VM's by exporting a snapshot to a .xva file, unarchiving export and using xenmigrate script to produce a .raw format. I have attempted to resolve this issue by performing the following operations:

- Attached boot drive as IDE, SATA, and VirtIO.
- Removed/uninstalled ghost devices
- Scanned with system file checker (SFC /Scannow)
- Rebuild boot record using bootrec
- Removed previous guest additions ( Done before and after VM migration )
- Tried a "Clean Boot"
- Changed VM's SCSI Controller type.

I'm starting to run out of ideas of what to try. For what it's worth, I believe the issue is caused by a driver or lack there of, due to the fact that safe mode loads without an issue. While in safe mode I've tried to install VirtIO guest drivers but I receive a "data is invlaid" error with every attempt. I've performed this with and without MsiServer running and even tried it with a different virtio iso. Linux guests work without a hitch, but I have noticed upon first boot they do repair something very quickly before stating "/dev/sda clean" and loading console login prompt.

Code:
root@prox-ceph3:~# qm config 106
balloon: 0
boot: cdn
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 2
ide2: none,media=cdrom
kvm: 0
memory: 4096
name: TinyTest
net0: e1000=86:E1:D0:2B:E0:56
numa: 0
ostype: win8
sata0: workspace:106/vm-106-disk-1.raw,size=100G
smbios1: uuid=56941e5d-af0d-44ba-81d6-40d99f4bf9de
sockets: 1

Server Stats:
3 node cluster with cepth each with:
- Dual Intel Xeon CPU E5-2620
- 128GB DDR4 ECC unbuffered RAM
- 60GB SSD - OS
- 6 400GB Intel DC S3710 SSDs - Ceph OSDs

I know that this has been mentioned numerous times, but I haven't yet found anything that works. I apologize if I've overlooked a previously discussed solution.

Thanks

I was able to solve the issue myself while browsing a citrix discussion board. http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/347782-unable-to-installuninstall-xen-tools/

The part that did it for me was removing all traces of xen*.* from the system32 directory and subdirectories.

Afterwards, Server 2012 R2 booted no problem. Still working on Windows 2016, will update if this resolves issue as well.

Edit: Windows 2016 working as well.

Last edited:
Hi, i have kind of the same problem. I am trying to migrate a Windows Server 2016 from XenServer to Proxmox and i am keep getting the BSOD with "System thread exception not handled".
Still, i am able to boot into safe mode, but not in normal mode.

Steps that i made to migrate:
- export VM from xenserver as *.raw file.
- Create a new VM on Proxmox with the same characteristics as the one on XenServer
- use xenmigrate script to import the raw file to proxmox

Now i am out of options... i tried (as written above) to delete the xen directories and subdir. from system32 but i can't do it because the Administrator user is not in SYSTEM group.

pveversion:
pve-manager/4.4-13/7ea56165 (running kernel: 4.4.62-1-pve)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!