[SOLVED] Windows VM crashes another VM

megusta

Jun 20, 2020
Hallo,

i've problem if I start windows 8.1 VM, my openmediavault VM immediately crashes, a third VM with Fedora keep working. A while ago I had not this curiosity (I rarely use windows). If I start OMV again with windows, it works for some hours and crashes again. There is no problem with Fedora, I can start/ stop, all works fine.
I've no idea where to search? Is it proxmox or vm failure?

Is it possible your host runs out of memory?
When under pressure OSes start killing processes to prevent themselves crashing. That could be a KVM process of your VM.

Great, that was easy, thank you!
I've been experimenting and forgot to adjust the memory...

Sadly it solved only one problem, after some hours omv crashes again.
I've 16 GB on host, 8 GB for OMV and 4 GB for Fedora. So 4 GB for host must be enough (if I run Windows, I shutdown Fedora).
What can I check also?

Have you limited your RAM usage?
By default ZFS uses up to 50% memory for caching etc., which can be quite a lot. Especially when you don't have a lot of it (and I consider 16GB as "not a lot")

That is a damn good question.
I'd start with 1gb and then monitor ARC usage.
Point is. If you assign 8+4 GB memory for your VMS, they will consume potentially more as the host has to manage that. So your math (4gb left) is likely incorrect.

I think you can easily find threads here in the forum via "limit arc usage" and "monitor arc usage". Don't know this from the top of my head and writing from mobile ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!