Windows Server VM: Optimization not available

Afox

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hello,

I have setup a Windows Server 2019 VM and experiencing the issue that when I go to the properties of my "C"-drive and select Optimize (tools-tab) it shows me that the drive is qualified but I can´t use the optimize-button as it says "Optimization not available".

disk settings:
VirtIO SCSI
qcow2
SSD emulation on
Discard on
Cache Write back

I used the latest virtio drivers (0.1.173) for everything.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Regards,

Afox

AFAIU disk "optimization" in Windows is basically defragmentation - which, on SSDs is not necessary. If you're physically running an HDD, disable "SSD emulation", otherwise just don't bother with letting Windows "optimize" your disks.

I believe Windows uses TRIM command when running optimization on a recognized SSD. On Windows 10 machines with the same settings the optimization button is available and working (not defragmenting, but trimming i guess).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!