Windows Server 2K19 kvm64 to host

PointPubMedia

Aug 3, 2017
Hi,

Anyone make it working to switch a Windows 2K19 from kvm64 to host type processor ?

Always having a BSOD with kmode exception not handled!

I'm not really a Windows expert but I can imagine that you have to set the CPU type prior to installation with Windows and a change is perceived like a move to a different machine.

Not sure if this will help someone in the future, but I was also receiving a BSOD for my Windows (11) guest with the following details:

Stop code: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
What failed: gdrv3.sys

What worked for me was uninstalling the EasyTune software for my Gigabyte board. Credit goes to this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/n7alr5/gdrv3sys_error_how_to_fix_that/

In my situation, the BSOD occurred when trying to change the processor type from the default of kvm64 to host. I was able to avoid the BSOD by reverting my changes in the GUI. Changing the CPU type from host to kvm64 still caused a BSOD, but deleting 'host' from that field worked (the blank field then shows 'default kvm64' as placeholder text. I uninstalled that EasyTune software, changed the CPU type to host, and was able to boot to the Windows 11 login screen without a BSOD.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!