Windows Server 2022 VM freezed - virtio: zero sized buffers are not allowed

Konnte schon jemand testen ob die Parameter in der VM-Config zum Deaktivieren der Hotplug-Funktionalität helfen auf einer q35-Machine?

Ich werde heute einen Test damit starten. Mein letzter Test mit dem Zurückstellen des Sprachpakets auf Englisch scheint das Problem nicht vollständig zu beheben, nach 2 Wochen Uptime gab es nun erneut einen Crash am Wochenende mit den selben Symptomen wie im ersten Post beschrieben. Dennoch deutlich weniger Abstürze als mit deutschem Sprachpaket (alle 2-3 Tage).

Last edited:
Did you ever get a resolution to this?
This morning I got the same on the host
Code:
QEMU[2174]: kvm: virtio: zero sized buffers are not allowed

In the Windows/SQL VM it follows with the following and the VM has to be reset
Code:
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort4, was issued.

Thanks @Max2048

What kernel version are your Proxmox hosts?
@davemcl I applied some updates and my VMs are running fine so far. I disabled the scheduled restart in my VM. I found a possible fix in the pve-qemu-kvm package: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-qemu.git;a=commit;h=d5f6ef56f0226b0efe34d6e08bfbad1706da3326

What qemu version are you using? apt list --installed | grep pve-qemu-kvm
Make sure to run at least 7.2.0-4 of that package. Do you still have these crashes with this version or above?

Hey @Max2048
Errors alternate between
QEMU[2198]: kvm: Desc next is 3
and
QEMU[1961]: kvm: virtio: zero sized buffers are not allowed

Im on a later version
pve-qemu-kvm/stable,now 7.2.0-8 amd64 [installed]

I may try upgrading a single node to the 8.0 Beta, failing that I'll have to look at a different solution.

@davemcl Interesting, I've never had the first error. Maybe we're actually having different issues. No more crashes for me so far (2 weeks) with pve-qemu-kvm 7.2.0-8.

Did you try updating the virtio drivers in the VMs?

Ive now managed to upgrade the cluster to PVE8, will report back if that helps this issue.

So I got about 5 days past the PVE 8 upgrade and got the less frequent error of
QEMU[4927]: kvm: Desc next is 3

Since the beginning of June Ive seen "Desc next is 3" error twice, I usually get this one more often (6 times)
QEMU[1884]: kvm: virtio: zero sized buffers are not allowed

Result is same though, VM cant be shutdown & has to be killed.
VM just shows the fairly generic error
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort5, was issued.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!