Windows Server 2022 in Proxmox.

Hi,
Anyone has already tests Windows Server 2022 in a Proxmox virtual machine?
Any best practices guide?

Thank you.

Reactions: zeuxprox
Hi,
there where some initial issues with Networking Driver VirtIO.
You can solve them by disabling Offload.TX.Checksum TCP(v4), but this might already resolved in newer VirtioDrivers...

1636362966421.png

Last edited:
https://github.com/virtio-win/kvm-guest-drivers-windows/issues/583

Issues which I have seen are that:

• RDP connection cannot used as it gets stuck after a while (TightVNC works)
  • Some DNS requests fails and it looks to be happening especially with short names so I guess that problem is at least with small UDP packages:
  • DNS-Queries from Server 2022 fail, cause of this....
Looks like this is fixed in 0.1.208-1 release

I'm having problems with around 3x Server 2022 guests on multiple Proxmox 7 hosts. Issues ranging from random lock ups or even sudden reboots and being unable to RDP and just having a black screen on the guest console on Proxmox. Can still ping the guest and that's about it. Think I had one BSOD from one but the dump file couldn't get created. Really random in ocurrance which makes troubleshooting more difficult.

Have applied latest Virtio Guest Drivers but wouldn't say its any better.

Then for a production environment will be better to use Windows Serve 2019 until 2022 is more stable over Proxmox, right ?

Then for a production environment will be better to use Windows Serve 2019 until 2022 is more stable over Proxmox, right ?
You can go with 2022.... there are no issues for us with the latest virtio anymore. However, expect issues in the OS itself, which are not caused by Proxmox... ;-)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!