Windows Server 2019 VM Won't Boot after Migration from LVM to ZFS

rflaherty

Jun 18, 2015
I have attempted a direct dd over ssh migration of a particular VM which is an an older Proxmox 5.4-5 server to a new server running 6.1-7 three different times now, and I end up having the same issue everytime. This is the command that I used to do the migration (worked fine for my other VMs), but when I attempt to boot, I get the windows logo loading for a bit, before the VM simply shuts down with no warning.

d if=/dev/mapper/pve-vm--104--disk--0| pv -s 966G | ssh root@10.9.9.10 dd of=/dev/zvol/rpool/data/vm-105-disk-0

I attempted a checkdisk on it from a boot cd, and now I simply get a "no bootable device found" error. I have also made the configurations of both VMs identical.

On a hunch - does it work if you set a blocksize to both dd commands (should also speed up the transfer):
add `bs=64M` to both dd invocations.

Reactions: rflaherty
On a hunch - does it work if you set a blocksize to both dd commands (should also speed up the transfer):
add `bs=64M` to both dd invocations.

Very possible, I would have to wait until next weekend to try it since it takes about 15 hours to transfer. My only hesitation to point to that as the issue is that I did an identical migration from and to the same Proxmox servers, with the exact same settings and had no issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!