Windows Server 2012 Eternal Splash Screen

jared lustig

Aug 13, 2019
I recently bought a server containing 2 2TB drives and replaced one of the drives with a 6TB storage drive. It has 2 Xeon processors and 48GB of ram, after installing proxmox I attempted to install windows server 2012 as my first vm. I was using a cd-rom to boot the iso, after letting the splash screen sit over night, I wake up to realize that it hasn't passed that screen. Im starting to think one of a couple things are wrong, my cd-rom has failed, my HDD has failed, or some settings are wrong when setting the vm. I could really use some help diagnosing this problem as I've been stuck for awhile. I have successfully managed to load two different OS on the HDD, when I installed xubuntu without proxmox it ran slow on start up, I also ran centos-7 in proxmox which also ran slow.

Tried installing windows 10 and it managed to boot to the part where it asks to install windows 10. But when I go to install windows 10 onto a disk it does not see any. Im currently looking into Virtlo drivers that I might have to install. Still curious why windows server 2012 did not even get that far when installing.

can you post your vm config? ('qm config ID' on the commandline)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!