Windows - Proxmox - NAS?

jim.w.armstrong

Mar 23, 2012
I've got a Buffalo TeraStation NAS with 24tb's. I want to install Proxmox 2.1-13, mount the NAS, create a CT (Win2008 R2) and assign that disk space to a Windows server and format it as NTFS. Can this be done?

Problem I need to solve. I've got 4 tb's of user folders and files with NFTS file attributes sitting on a couple of external usb drives because a san's melted down. The NAS is using the XFS filesystem not exactly compatible with NTFS. Hindsight is always 20 20, LOL. So I'm scrambling for away to use the NAS. Other ideas, suggestions appreciated. Let me know if I'm completely out of whack.

Thanks

I've got a Buffalo TeraStation NAS with 24tb's. I want to install Proxmox 2.1-13, mount the NAS, create a CT (Win2008 R2) and assign that disk space to a Windows server and format it as NTFS. Can this be done?

I do not know this NAS - but check if they support NFS (I assume yes) and iSCSI. Basically, virtualizing a file server is never the best idea as you always loose some performance. I would export a iSCSI volume directly to windows VM, using the iSCSI software in windows.

Problem I need to solve. I've got 4 tb's of user folders and files with NFTS file attributes sitting on a couple of external usb drives because a san's melted down. The NAS is using the XFS filesystem not exactly compatible with NTFS. Hindsight is always 20 20, LOL. So I'm scrambling for away to use the NAS. Other ideas, suggestions appreciated. Let me know if I'm completely out of whack.

Thanks

i did not really understand what you get on these USB drives, but if its XFS you can mount them on the host and then try to export via samba to your windows - but maybe there is an easier way.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!