Windows guests don't resume from S3

Negrutiu

Nov 10, 2020
Hi everyone.
I'm desperately trying to build Windows guests with fully working sleep (S3) and hibernate (S4) power states.
Note: The host machine remains running at all times. Only the guests are supposed to sleep...
My problem is that guest machines resume correctly from S4, but they don't resume from S3.

I've tried multiple combinations of hardware (q35 and i440fx, OVMF and SeaBIOS, multiple SCSI controllers, memory ballooning ON and OFF, etc.)
Guests have VirtIO and Spice guest tools installed.
The results:
- Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 machines work perfectly. They correctly enter and resume from both S3 and S4
- All other Windows versions (7, 10 all builds: th1, th2, rs1..rs5, 2004, both x86 and amd64) only resume from hibernate (S4) and not from suspend (S3)
When resuming from S3 they either BSOD, freeze, or simply reboot and lose their suspended state :(

Any suggestions?
Is S3 APCI state supposed to work well in Windows guests? ...or am I wasting my time :)
Thanks guys!

My environment: PVE 6.2-15 installed on a capable i7 physical machine. Tested on multiple machines, results are the same...

Hi,

why do you do not use hibernate on the PVE side?

I need to run (3rd party) test tools inside the VMs.
Some test cases will put the computer to sleep/hibernate, then the testing resumes as soon as the system wakes up...
They need to work on their own (inside the VM) without my external (PVE) intervention :(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!