[SOLVED] Windows 2012r2 Boot error: Could not read from CDROM (code 0004)

Mrgcman

Apr 12, 2016
Europe
Good afternoon everyone.

I switched over to software RAID 0 (striping) and now I can't seem to correctly boot the VM (fresh installation) due to this error(booting in a constant loop):
img

Could not read from CDROM (code 0004) with no raid on a fresh reinstall, would anyone happen to know why?
I'm positive it's caused by software RAID 0 as with no raid the fresh installation of Proxmox was working with no issues.

Thank you.
EDIT://As below, it's a fresh Debian 8 Jessie deployment with software RAID 0.
EDIT2://I am using Debian 8 with no raid, identical error occurs on my dedicated server.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but software raid 0...do you enjoy the sadness of recovering your vm's or something?

Hey @1nerdyguy!

No worries, it's a fresh Debian 8 Jessie deployment on a dedicated server, I installed Proxmox freshly aswell. Hoping to get it to work with software RAID 0 ;).

Thank you for your input @essF4.

That's a risk I'm willing to take, I'm running this with server grade hardware and hoping to maintain it for a half year before upgrading/switching machines.

I have a bunch of compute centers running on "server grade hardware" and guess what fails constantly and frequently? Yes, the disks - nothing else.

To your question: I have never tried RAID0 and I guess most others won't have experience in that specific field either. That should signal how stupid it is to use RAID 0.

Reactions: essF4
Hey @LnxBil @essF4.

I have acknowledged the risks, my main concern is low disk space as I'm running on two SSDs. I would need to allocate more space to / directory hence why software RAID 0 is used unless anyone has a alternative route for me!

Also, running on Debian 8.

When an SSD fails, it doesn't fail "slowly" like a typical rotation hard drive. You don't have warnings, weird noses, random seek times, etc. It just dies abruptly and in spectacular fashion. When that happens, and it will, your entire array is gone.

SSDs are coming down in price drastically. That said if space is your concern, thrown a bunch of 1-2TB drives in a RAID10 - they are cheap.

Reactions: Mrgcman
That's correct @essF4, I however would like to stick to a little higher priced SSDs.

Like above, I'm free to try anything, I need to allocate most possible space to / directory (Debian 8) from 2 disks.

Update, I went with a different route and the same error appears, no raid.

Let me know if anyone would happen to know why this occurs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!