Windows 2012 VMs

Drax

Jul 21, 2012
I moved a working windows Server VM from one node to another. I used the backup and restore function. However the VM fails to boot. I have tried selecting the legacy boot but It doesn't seem to stay selected. All my linux vms have been moved with few issues. Is there something that I am missing in getting the restored VM to boot?

No windows haters please. Just respond if you have a suggestion solution. I would love to get this resolved ASAP.

Where does the issue occur? Does the VM itself fail to start, or does the OS fail to load within the VM?

compare every hardware and options of your VM. For me it is a main mistake to have for example a mounted ISO as CD-ROM witch doesn't exist or have the wrong storage pool, is the boot option correct? anything like this
Start the VM on the Terminal and have a look at the issue
regards,
maxprox

Hmm I thought the whole point of proxmox and VMs was that the VM was fully inclusive of all resources it needs? When I asked about moving VMs there was never a comment about any of this. Simply backup the VM, move it to the new node, then restore the vm. Not sure how I fix this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!