Windows 2012 RTM - DVD Device Driver Issues

pcmanning

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2010
Just built a nice new two node Proxmox 2.1 install, and am now trying to get a Windows 2012 RTM VM running. I'm running into what appears to be a common problem - the VM boots, but is then missing some drivers and prompts to browse for some. I've basically followed this method to try and fix it

http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=2666

But to no avail - the article references an older version of Proxmox and an earlier release of Windows, but the principles look sound. The latest virtio drivers I've found are 1.30, and windows lists both the SCSI and Network drivers as compatible loading these fails to find the piece of hardware.

So, am stumped. Any other ideas appreciated, or does someone know of some other "beta" drivers which will work or will it require a newer version of KVM to solve?

cheers
Paul

win 2012 works out of the box with IDE. if you use virtio driver disk, also no problem

if you use latest packages from pvetest (KVM 12.), also sata should work as dist without any further drivers.
virtio scsi works with the drivers.

check your physical hardware (bios update/setting), ram and your ISO image. (check md5sum)

Thanks for suggestions - looks like an incomplete FTP transfer. You just get used to files copying around these days! Will try to buld the vm again tomorrow.

How stable is pvetest? This is only a home lab, so happy to run a bit bleeding edge.

Paul

win 2012 works out of the box with IDE. if you use virtio driver disk, also no problem

if you use latest packages from pvetest (KVM 12.), also sata should work as dist without any further drivers.
virtio scsi works with the drivers.

check your physical hardware (bios update/setting), ram and your ISO image. (check md5sum)

Ok will try that out.

Windows 2012 running nicely with virtio disk and network drivers. Needed to work around a few screensize issues though - Proxmox Console can't scroll and my laptop don't have a large enough screen. Tried TigerVNC on Windows, but F8 + CTRL-ALT-DEL crashed it, so used a 3rd party VNC viewer on iPad to install network driver and enable RDP and now life is easier! Probably need to find a better VNC viewer for Windows!

thanks for you help
cheers
Paul

thanks for feedback.

In this case I suggest you move now to pvetest and as soon as 2.2 is released (pvetest packages are moved to stable) you change back to stable (pve).

See also http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories

why don´t you just use RDP after installation?

why don´t you just use RDP after installation?

Doing that - but it's just getting started TightVNC works better than TigerVNC for non secure (no TLS) sessions, easier than IPad. Also now see new thread on VNC after proxmox test packages installed!

cheers
Paul

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!