Windows 2003 fake raid P2V

etelevz

Jan 21, 2020
Hi Proxmox !

I have a windows 2003 server with fake raid (raid 1), Asus P6H67-M, Intel H67 chipset.
How can I make a P2V conversion ?

I used disk2vhd, and imported the vhdx, but it was not booteable.

Any suggestions ?
Clonezilla, systemrescuecd ?

thanks fro the help,
Zoltan

I used disk2vhd, and imported the vhdx, but it was not booteable.
How was the VM configured? Windows is picky regarding BIOS / UEFI and the Controller of the disk. They must match what was used in the physical machine.

For example if it used SATA disks, you need configure the virtual disk to use the SATA backend.

This might be the problem. But maybe someone else has experience with migrating a fake raid machine to a VM and knows another trick.

Hi AAron !

I forget to say, I make vhdx with disk2vhd, then I converted it to vdi with oracle vboxmanage clonemedium. I imported the vdi into the oracle virtualbox, and everything works like a charm, everything works perfectly.

Of course I use SATA disk, but H67 chipset has a fakeraid, what I use.
Proxmox wiki write o use mergedie.zip, at the moment I did not do.
Another problem: if I boot with gparted or systemrescuecd, and I examine the imported machine, it says there is not any partition/filesystem on imported disk.

Simply when I import the vhdx, it imported like IDE disk ? qm importdisk 101 /root/SOMATHING.VHDX local-lmv as I did.
May I have to import as sata disk ? How can I do that ?

Can you helpl me with a short working how-to ?

thanks for your effort,
best regard,
Zoltan

May I have to import as sata disk ? How can I do that ?
You can detach the imported disk. Then edit it and set it to SATA. Make sure to adjust the boot order accordingly in the VMs Option panel.

Hi !

I've attached it as SATA, and same thing.
But I think, there is a mistake somewhere in the importing : Another problem: if I boot with gparted or systemrescuecd, and I examine the imported machine, it says there is not any partition/filesystem on imported disk.
To summarize : can I use vhdx at all for proxmox ?? For oracle virtualbox works with vhdx is fine.

Or any Idea to solve this problem ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!