[SOLVED] Windows 11 VMs do not turn themselves off when hibernating

gothbert

Apr 3, 2021
(this is a cross-post from the German forum - I try my luck here again)

For a few days now, my VMs with Windows 11 as the guest operating system no longer switch off completely after going into sleep mode (Hibernate). It looks like this in the user interface:
1703864108446.png

I cannot reach the console neither with NoVNC nor with Spice.

I cannot reset the VM, this is the message:

Code:
TASK ERROR: VM 112 qmp command 'system_reset' failed - unable to connect to VM 112 qmp socket - timeout after 51 retries

However, Stop followed by Start works, and Windows then continues to run at the point where I previously put it to sleep.

In the past, the VMs have shut down cleanly after going into hibernation mode.

Since I regularly update both the host operating system (Proxmox PVE) and the guest operating system (Windows), I cannot say whether the problem occurred after a Proxmox or a Windows update.

The problem does not occur with Windows 10 as guest.

Does anyone have similar experiences or ideas for troubleshooting?

Best regards
Boris

Thanks for your reply.

The latest guest tools are installed and running when the VM is in normal running state. When hibernating, the VM is left in a kind of zombie state: no display, no access to the guest tools, just a spike of CPU activity now and then.

I downgraded the guest tools and drivers from 0.1.240 to 0.1.204 but no change in behavior.

Plus (both with the most recent and the older guest tools and drivers): the VMs sponteneously goes to pause mode soon after start and cannot resumed - I need to stop and start again.

I am quite sure I found the reason for the aforementioned behavior.

As mentioned in another, previously unrelated thread, I have issues with a blocking ZFS on RAID10 on consumer grade SSDs, which hosts the VMs. I moved the VMs to LVM over ISCSI (disks on a separate NAS). From thereon, performance of the VMs is back to normal and they reliably go into hibernation fast.

I assume that the blocking disk accesses disturb Windows 11 but not Windows 10.

I marked this thread as solved and leave the solution here in case others experience the same issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!