Windows 10 VM: Stop Code Hypervisor Error

paulmorabi

Mar 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

i've had a Windows 10 VM run with GPU passthrough via Proxmox for over a year now without issue. In the last days, I upgraded it to the May 2020 update and then tried to enable WSL 2. At the time, Windows said it could not enable virtualization so I left it at that. I just got another Windows Update and after reboot, I am stuck either with a frozen screen or the Error "STOP CODE: Hypervisor Error".

I can get to a basic screen that allows me to get to a terminal and also try to roll back the last feature and quality update. Both attempts at the latter fail.

I noticed a few threads that said to disable KVM Virtualization but if I do this, I can't start the VM at all.

Is there anything I can do here? Or is it better to reset everything and start again?

EDIT: Running on a Ryzen 2700 with latest proxmox software and NVidia 1050ti being passed through to the VM.

Code:
agent: 1
args: -cpu host
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: dcn
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 16
cpu: kvm64
hostpci0: 1c:00,x-vga=1,pcie=1
ide2: none,media=cdrom
kvm: 1
machine: q35
memory: 16384
name: Windows
net0: virtio=96:DB:30:3F:3F:91,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 1
ostype: win10
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,cache=writeback,iothread=1,replicate=0,size=200G,ssd=1
scsi1: shared:vm-100-disk-0,backup=0,iothread=1,replicate=0,size=500G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=6c528219-7221-4008-b880-7b23b7302b2e
sockets: 1
usb0: host=1e7d:2f76,usb3=1
usb1: host=04d9:fc58,usb3=1
usb2: host=1-3,usb3=1
vga: none
vmgenid: 17177e2a-bb1b-4326-8763-eed5028c9a61

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
AFAIK WSL2 is using Hyper-v to virtualize a Linux kernel used for it. The problem is, that a nested Hyper-V used to be an Intel only feature for the longest time and just would not work on AMD. In the past few months, Microsoft managed to get nested Virtualization running inside a bare metal Hyper-V on AMD. But running Hyper-V inside KVM on AMD processors is still problematic AFAIK.

You can search the forum, this has been discussed a bit in the past.

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get the VM booting again by adding svm to the cpu flags but WSL 2 is not working. I'll look up the other threads also.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!