Windows 10 VM and guest agent

harumscarum70

Jan 5, 2019
Guest agent is running.. confirmed with powershell
Proxmox indicates 'not running'

1585740419624.png

1585740459844.png

qm agent ping says it as well...

Thoughts ? (I mean other than.. why are you running windows.. ;-))

Guidance? (other than switch from windows... ;-))

Thanks @Moayad

agent: 1
boot: cdn
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 6
ide0: local-lvm:vm-142-disk-0,size=150G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 32768
name: WIN1
net0: virtio=D2:A2:9D:29:56:CB,bridge=vmbr1,tag=333
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=f22a0d4e-6afa-43f1-b86a-cedd736171e8
sockets: 4
usb0: host=5-1
vga: virtio,memory=512
vmgenid: bbecda89-7dc6-4a1a-ab79-1edc2c6a381d

Hi,

What says command qm agent 142 ping ?

Check the Services in Windows VM if Balloon service and QEMU Guest Agent are running.

Thanks @Moayad

# qm agent 142 ping
QEMU guest agent is not running

Powershell on VM indicates QEMU agent running..
1585759293478.png

Balloon service?? is that what it is called? I see nothing called Balloon..

Found ballon service on the virtio iso and ran it.. it is running now for sure...

still proxmox thinks qemu guest agent is not running.

1585761243957.png

I suggest Shutdown (Stop/Power Off) the VM (after disabling HA, if you have it configured for this VM). Verify Proxmox sees the VM is stopped. Then Start the VM from the GUI/CLI.

AFAICT, Qemu will only perform an initial check/connect to the guest agent on a cold start. Afterwards, it will be fine with normal reboots, etc.

Thanks @RokaKen I did. I shut the VM down via the OS... (no HA)... proxmox saw the VM stopped.. and then I started from VM console.... still no joy.. proxmox doesn't see the guest agent.

What I did to install the virtio drivers btw.. is mounted the ISO.. and individually installed the guest agent... and the balloon service... is there another thing I really need... ?? the real thing I want to be able to do.. which perhaps I can simply leverage a scheduled task on the windows box.. is shut down the VM every thursday and sunday morning.. then restart it... today I use a batch script that does a qm shutdown on my linux boxes... works like a champ.. windows.. not so nice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!