Windows 10 UEFI wont boot after shutdown

pancio

Jan 27, 2020
Hello,

I am trying to run Windows 10 VM in uefi mode, and I was following many tutorials on YouTube and on Proxmox website, but none of them seems to work for me. First time when Windows starts after installation everything seems to work ok, but when I shutdown machine and start it again its giving me blue screen with HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error first and when I reset machine it keeps hanging on screen below. One guy in YouTube tutorial said ,when Instaling Windows 10 we need to detach efi drive at installation process and recreate efi disk after installation, but he skip moment when he create efi disk , so I dont know when to add efi disk again and what to do with it. Please help with this problem, I am trying to get it work for two weeks now and Im starting to lose my mind ;) . (EDIT: I have recently tested shuting down VM, when I turn off system from within Windows, I will get HAl init error on next reboot and it wont reboot, but when I use "qm stop/start" command it has no problem)
1581415209634.png

Last edited:
Are you sure your Windows 10 installer image (ISO file) is not corrupted? What system/version are you using? Please post the output of lscpu, pveversion -v, qm config <vmid>.

Fiddling with EFI disks should not be necessary at all, in fact, recreating the EFI disk at any given time may very well be a cause for errors such as the one you're seeing.

when I turn off system from within Windows, I will get HAl init error on next reboot and it wont reboot, but when I use "qm stop/start" command it has no problem

qm stop is like yanking the power cord on your VM, I'd rather expect it to cause errors than to fix them. But it could indicate Windows is doing something weird on shutdown, maybe try disabling fast startup as a shot in the dark.

Hey pancio,

I've started to search a solution for that problem as well, cause i want to use the windows powersaving mode.

It seems, that this problem has something to do with a feature from Windows 10 called Hybrid shutdown or something like that. Even if you try to shutdown your Win10 normally it powers off to some kind of Standby. Unfortunally don't know the english terms. But it's that kinda mode where Windows stuffs all of your RAM-content onto your storage and shuts down the wohle system. For your system to start normally you have to deactivate that option in the system settings (energymanagement -> what happens if you push the powerbutton). Something like that should it be called in english. If Windows starts without that energysaving mode, the bluescreen shouldn't be comming up.

I'm actually searching a solution for that problem for using that energysaving mode.

Regards 0tt0

I've started to search a solution for that problem as well, cause i want to use the windows powersaving mode.
Just FYI, you can also suspend/hibernate VMs from PVE itself, might save yourself some trouble with getting Windows to cooperate.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!