[SOLVED] Windows 10 guest: Enable Secure Boot after install with old EFI

Afox

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hello,

is there a procedure to enable Secure Boot on a Windows 10 guests that have been installed with an old EFI disk?

With my Linux guests removing the EFI disk and replacing it with a "new" 4m disk worked (had to re-add the boot option like described here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OVMF/UEFI_Boot_Entries) but with Windows guests it does not work that way because Windows is booting into Repair Mode after. It tries to repair but fails and now my question is if there is anything I can/need to do to make this work. I know that on a regular Desktop machine you can enable Secure Boot after install by flipping a switch in the Bios.

Regards,

Afox

Last edited:
I solved it myself.
The problem were old virtio-drivers that were not signed and prevented Windows from finding the disk. Solution is to first install up-to-date virtio drivers, then replace the old with the new EFI-disk and finally proceed as described in the link above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zananok and Daniver

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!