Windows 10 doesn't accept VirtIO SCSI driver

IJsblok

Aug 15, 2024
Hi,

I try to install Windows 10 in a Proxmox VM. I followed many tutorials, but I can't get the same results.

During the setup of Windows, I select the driver from the VirtIO WiN ISO, but Windows cant get past this screen:Windows 10 VirtIO error.jpg
"No New devices drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, and click OK."
I have this result with any driver I select on the VirtIO ISO.

Does somebody knows how to resolve this?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Quanto11,

Thanks for your reply.

This is the hardware configured:
Windows 10 VM Config.jpg

Please let me know what must be changed. Thanks!

Thanks for you effords!

- Changed to 248 VirtIO version: No change
- Changed machine version to 5.1 while using the 262 VirtIO version: no change
- Changed machine version to 5.1 while using the 248 VirtIO version: no change

Do you perhaps have anything else?

Alternatively, you can/could also install windows on EDI/Sata-drives (no extra drivers needed), install the drivers when in Windows, and then change it over to scsi.

To change it from EDI/sata to scsi:
Add a scsi-drive, appearently you don't even need to configure it (but last time I did it during an esx->proxmox migration, I did put a disk on it)
Reboot windows (it needs to see the drive once during boot)
Shutdown windows
Detach the C-drive-disk
Attach the C-drive-disk again but now as scsi
Start Windows (and remove that temp-drive.)

Hi,

I try to install Windows 10 in a Proxmox VM. I followed many tutorials, but I can't get the same results.

During the setup of Windows, I select the driver from the VirtIO WiN ISO, but Windows cant get past this screen:View attachment 73076
"No New devices drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, and click OK."
I have this result with any driver I select on the VirtIO ISO.

Does somebody knows how to resolve this?
Thanks in advance.

Oh, just noticed, you might be using the wrong driver.
You need the driver found in D:\vioscsi\w10\x86 if I recall correctly

Alternatively, you can/could also install windows on EDI/Sata-drives (no extra drivers needed), install the drivers when in Windows, and then change it over to scsi.

To change it from EDI/sata to scsi:
Add a scsi-drive, appearently you don't even need to configure it (but last time I did it during an esx->proxmox migration, I did put a disk on it)
Reboot windows (it needs to see the drive once during boot)
Shutdown windows
Detach the C-drive-disk
Attach the C-drive-disk again but now as scsi
Start Windows (and remove that temp-drive.)
I tried this before, but then the drive won't show up either and I have no driver at all to mitigate that.

My bad, confused between arm64 and amd64, but yeah, that should be the correct driver.
Strange that post-install running the driver tool does not show you scsi-drives (at all) either.

Looking at the wiki, everything looks fine too:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices

That said, have you tried with UEFI instead of BIOS (don't forget to also add an EFI-disk for it)?
I changed the BIOS to OVMF (UEFI). That didn't changed the outcome.
I don't know how to make the Windows10 ISO an UEFI one, or how to change the Virtual CD/DVD drive to UEFI.

Since the choice between BIOS or UEFI is done during the boot (and how it processes things), as long as the iso boots / shows, that part is good.

The only other difference I see is that I usually go for the scsi-controller virtio scsi single (which is the default) but other then that...

To check my own sanity, I quickly spun up a new (Windows Server) iso, and tried to install it, and for me the same driver loaded fine. I don't have a W10-iso ready, so I'll have to download one, that might take a bit.

Maybe a silly thought btw, you are pressing next and not rescan at the bottom, right?

Last edited:
In my recent experience of installing Windows Servers, all you need to do is select top level location of the CD (i.e. D: from the "Search for drivers" button. It will scan entire drive and find the right driver.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
1. This is about Windows 10 ;)
2. Last time I did it (today) on server, with a 2022 server (but a bit older iso), I did have to select a lower folder, as the higher for some reason said it couldn't find things, but that's just my experience, or I might have done something else wrong/different.

1. This is about Windows 10
thank you for pointing it out.

I went ahead and downloaded Windows 10 ISO, then attempted to install it with root disk being virtio-scsi-single and ISO mounted as IDE.

I did not spend much time, but in a few minutes I tried I was not able to get it to recognize the driver.
That said a post online indicated that the driver needs to be installed after the installation. I attempted it (root disk=ide, Windows ISO=ide, Virtio Drivers=ide) and an extra disk on scsi-single. That worked and the driver was found after pointing the Device Manager at the root of the driver ISO.

I did not further testing on this.

PS referenced post: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/47416-help-with-virtio-drivers-for-a-windows-10-vm/

PPS keep in mind that VirtIO drivers are supplied by 3rd party developers, not PVE.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
I did not spend much time, but in a few minutes I tried I was not able to get it to recognize the driver.
Strange indeed.
For me the driver worked right away on my windows 10 install, as long as I selected the "lowest" folder, so either the amd64/w10 or the vioscsi/w10/amd64
The one thing I did see in other posts, that some windows-iso's of different languages behave differently from eachother, but the english version usually works fine.

Oh, and I did use the latest stable, not the "latest" version of the virtio drivers (1.240)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!