Win8 KVM Server - but how to start it?

vikozo

Renowned Member
May 4, 2014
suisse
www.wombat.ch
Hello
i have a VM with Win8.1 which works, slow but works more or less stable!
how do i access now to this server, do i have allways to login to proxmox to use it? :confused:

there should be a client (Browser) to start it, but how this works?

have a nice day
vinc

You could install cygwin to give you a Linux like environment. But to really use Windows with all its GUI you will always have to login through Proxmox. I personally use remote login such as TeamViewer to access most of my Windows based VMs. That way i dont have to login through Proxmox GUI. I already have a Teamviewer infrastructure in place so it works perfect.
Or you could also setup Windows RDP to access it from any where with just about any device.

Hello Ahmed
i feel honored you answer, the book you wrot is nice!
and surprised there is no easy way to access a virtuell computer. i belived there would be something like a citrix client
have a nice day
vinc

There are multiple ways to connect to virtual machines... RDP, SSH, VNC etc... depends on what kind of machine you are using.

Like symmcom already wrote for your case there is a protocol called RDP. That would be the most convenient if you use Windows VMs.
To use it, you have to enable remote desktop services within your VM (which is a built-in service in Windows Pro and Server Editions).

Then you would connect with a RDP Client (which is also built-in in every Windows regardless if it's a professional edition or not afaik) to the IP or DNS Name of that VM.
Here's a how-to: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Remote-Desktop-in-Windows-7 (It#s for Win 7, but the steps are almost the same).

If your virtual Win 8 isn't a professional edition you would have to use another protocol VNC or something like Teamviewer....

You see it is quite easy to access a Windows based VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!